The bed, like the bowl, is the first product you buy when you adopt a dog. But do you know which is the most appropriate? Is it round or square bed? A mattress or blanket?
There are certain parameters to take into account to select the best bed for your dog. Therefore, in this article, we answer these questions so that, you know how to choose a bed for your dog.
It might also interested you: How to Choose Your Dog’s Food Feeders.
Follow These Steps:
1. The dog’s basket is essential to ensure his integration into his new home because he will become his room, his favorite corner in the house. Remember that your dog should not sleep in your bed with you but in his own. This choice is important for your dog.
2. The size of your dog is a must when you have to choose your bed. Because a bed too small will be uncomfortable, and too big, it will not provide the safety and warmth your dog needs. However, do not be fooled by the size of your dog when he is still a puppy, you must think about his adult size, otherwise, when he has grown up, you will have to change the bed.
3. When you choose a bed based on the adult size of your puppy, you will see that it is huge. Do not worry, there is a simple solution for your puppy to feel protected, you can fill it with cushions. In this way, he will feel wrapped and comfortable.
4. The way your dog sleeps is as important as his size. So, watch him see if he is sleeping curled up or stretched. When you know it, you have to measure your dog in his sleeping position, to choose the bed that best suits his needs. How? It is very simple. If he sleeps curled up, measure him from the tail to the nape of the neck. If he sleeps spread you will have to do it from the head. In both cases add 10 cm at each end for added security.And if your dog does not have a fixed sleep position, but changes it often, measure its size as it stretches, and occupy as much space as possible.
5. For dogs that sleep curled up it is advisable to buy a round or square basket and curved shape, ie, with edges to protect it. While dogs sleeping in a reclining position must have a rectangular cushion as it will allow them to stretch at ease, without touching the edges. A rectangular bed with edges is not a bad option and it fits perfectly.
6. In any case, it is recommended that the bed of your dog is padded and if the round basket has no cushion, you must add a mattress. It is very important that it is installed as comfortably as possible for it to fit and lie down, rather than on your sofa or bed. To do this, check the padding of the mattress before buying it to check its quality. Never buy a bed without a mattress because your dog will not be able to rest properly.
7. There are other igloo-shaped or niche-shaped beds suitable for small breed dogs or when it is cold and where they will feel safe at night. These types of beds are safer than others and protect against drafts while providing greater security and heat preservation inside. Generally, they are not very padded, and you may need to add a comfortable mattress.
8. If your dog likes to be covered during the night to feel safe, do not forget to place a blanket on the mattress. You can opt for the purchase of a bed that includes a cover system as on the picture, checking before its measurements and the size of your dog.
If you would like to read similar articles to How to choose a bed for your dog, we recommend you to consult the category Pets.
If you have several dogs, it is recommended that everyone have their bed to avoid conflicts between them.